Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Volunteer at the SPCA - Love and Care for Animals

Just completed my volunteer orientation workshop at our local SPCA, the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (香港愛護動物協會), center here in HK.  I was actually signed up by my daughter as she promised me that it is a "cool" group to join in.  Hmmm ... being "cool" is just too hard to resist!

SPCA HK was actually the first charity group formed in Hongkong.  It started in the year 1903 but formally became an active group by the year 1921.  I was very impressed with the extensive care and attention that they provide for the welfare of all animals (except for horses as they are managed by another organization).

Here is the Hong Kong island SPCA building (there are 2 more centers):




After our workshop, we were then sent to the Homing section to see the abandoned animals mostly dogs, cats, rabbits, turtles, snakes, lizards and hamsters.

It was a bit heartsickening for me to see the abandoned dogs as they stare at me with very expressive gloomy eyes.  Other than this, I am able to read details on why they are sent over for adoption (or for some may end up being terminated).  Really very depressing...

On a positive note, I saw a board showing the successful adoption/homed dogs at the center.  A sort of a happy ending for this lovable critters.

I can't resist to take some photos off the board, here it is:






When you do have the time, please be "cool" and visit your local SPCA or animal welfare center.  I guarantee that it would be one great humbling experience to be with these abandoned animals.

Have a great day!

More Details:



No comments:

Post a Comment


Get Flower Effect